Saturday, November 24, 2012

My cooking kits...

This is still work in progress but good progress made so far...

It is possible to feel guilty when thinking of swapping a component of a cook system... The reason I say that is for a change on my next camp I'm going to rest my MLD pots and try my MSR Titan 0.85 pot and Titan cup.  It feels strange to be contemplating leaving something behind that is MLD!  More to the point my infamous MLD spoon will also need a rest due to its length!

I was looking at the Trail Designs Ti Tri Sidewinder for the fun of it to see if I could reduce not so much weight but the number of packages.  I think it would increase them!  From what I can ascertain the 12-10 burner won't fit in either my MSR 1L pot nor an Evernew 0.9L pot with the Sidewinder cone.  So I'd have to put the 12-10 in a separate pack.  It also requires pegs to help support the pot, these also won't fit in the pot so need to be stored in the peg bag.  So I'd have cooking kit in three places.  Maybe four if I stored my alcohol separately.  It seems.

My current set up has my cooking kit in two places.  (Weights after in grams).

MLD 850ml ti pot inc string pouch 106
MLD 450ml ti pot 37
These pack together.

Trail Designs MLD 850 Ti Tri cone 48
Trail Designs 10-12 burner 15
J Cloth tiny piece! 1
Light My Fire / Fire steel 28
Foil (aluminium) 10
Measure pots (2) 1
LifeVenture Lexan spoon 14
Spoon - MLD 16
Trail Designs Caddy 89
Bottle (1) for meths 175ml 143
Candle 13
All this goes into the caddy, even the alcohol / meths as I'm not eating out of it.

Sub Total 521

For a change I'll use this next...

MSR Titan Ti 850 pot and lid 126
MSR Cup 55

Trail Designs MSR 850 Ti Tri cone 41
Trail Designs 10-12 burner 15
J Cloth tiny piece! 1
Light My Fire / Fire steel 28
Foil (aluminium) 10
Measure pots (2) 1
LifeVenture Lexan spoon 14
Snow Peak Spork 16
Trail Designs Caddy 73
Bottle (1) for meths 175ml 143
Candle 13

Sub Total 536

This second set up is 15g heavier but marginally more compact though it's close.  The reason I say that is the MLD cooking pot is quite tall and narrow and hence needs a taller cone and caddy!  The MSR pot is a bit squatter so the cone and caddy are a little shorter.  It's due to the smaller caddy that I have to desert my MLD spoon for the Snow Peak Spark, it fits in the shorter caddy!  This system is also in two components.

I have ordered the Trail Designs Caldera Ti Keg.  I'll be very interested in how it compares.  Theoretically I think (its not arrived yet) that I could have a totally one piece cook system with this but the meths might be safer separately.  See on that, I've never had a leakage, yet!  When it arrives I'll add info here.

I also have, but not used yet (I bought a job lot of Ti Tri kit for all my pots last year!) the Inferno for my MSR 1.5L pot.

I'll add in weights here soon for that so you all have accurate info...






No comments: